Thursday, February 08, 2007

Message to Fellow "Old Bloggers"

You may have noticed that our list of members on the right has shrunk! Google has taken over Blogger.com, which means that all blog members will have to create a Google account, replacing the old sign-in. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. I've put it off as long as possible, but they forced my hand. I've just done this and it was very straightforward.


Apparently the "New Blogger" has lots of exciting bells and whistles and will enable everyone to achieve full self-realization at the click of a mouse ... or something.

On another matter, I would like to tidy up the main page of the blog. There are some very long postings - for which, thank you all - and these presently make the front page look a bit off-putting. So what I propose to do is to add a bit of code to each post that exceeds 200 words, so that the rest of the post will be hidden. If the intro is of interest to readers, they can click "read more" and get the full text. I've been doing this to my own posts for a while, and I feel that it makes the blog more attractive. Anyone who has an objection should add their comment below ... if I don't receive any good reasons not to Operation Clean-up will get under way after the weekend.

Also, if people can put pictures in, it does brighten things up! There is a little "add image" button (between the "ABC" and "eraser" buttons) which allows you to do this. Google Image Search is fantastic if you want to find an amusing or relevant picture. Just enter a word and see what appears!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

The first exciting development for New Bloggers is "post labels". I'm going to start cataloguing the posts, so that if a subject interests you, you can see other similar blog posts from the past.

Click on the "Blogging Hints" link at the foot of the post to see what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good - roll up your clean broom.