Friday, September 29, 2006

Creating the Container for Satsanga

Following on from V's 'Upanishad' post:

The Upanishads begin with an invocation. What is the purpose of the invocation? Presumably to prepare heart and mind so that it is receptive to what is to come? But also, using the definition of upanishad as 'sit near' this implies an intimate gathering, like Jesus sitting with his disciples rather than speaking to the masses. I find myself returning quite regularly to "saha naavavatu" from the Katha. The more I look at it the more it implies to me a preparation, creating the conditions for satsanga to take place. It could be useful to look at it as a guide to 'preparing the ground' for a true meeting. Some reflections:

1) may we be protected
- the satsanga is a safe environment where we can open our hearts and trust that we will be met from this place
- confidentiality is understood

The umbrella of protection is a propitious environment whereby:

2/3) may we be nourished / may we create strength
- the satsanga provides spiritual food whereby the being is nourished and strengthened
- from this it is possible to re-engage with the world on leaving the satsanga with greater detachment, purpose and natural discipline
- there is strength to resist the negative / various pulls of the world etc through the force of being

4) may our studies be illumined
- may the reason / intellect be lit up with clarity
- may the light of intelligence shine without hindrance
- may there be true understanding

5) may we not oppose one another
- no envy or competition
- drop any past disagreement, conflict etc that puts up a barrier to meeting NOW

I'm sure this is not exhaustive. Just some of the things that are evoked. Any other pertinent suggestions welcome.

I have used this prayer with some regularity before attending group. It does seem that the intent and the effect is to prepare oneself better for what is to take place, also (for the devotionally inclined amongst us) to ask the Absolute for help in this matter.

"For wherever two or three are gathered in My name, there I AM in the midst of them."
~ Matthew 18:20

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Thanks Kapila
Like you, I've been struck by the importance of those invocations. I don't think I could have expressed my own intuitions better than you have done here.

Kevin said...

I recited this invocation for my group the other night and explained the meaning to them. One student objected to "may we not oppose one another", saying, "surely that couldn't happen in a philosophical gathering - it seems a shame to have to say it".

I informed her that, hard as it is to credit, philosophers can sometimes fall out and have divisive arguments.

(This was the same student who heard some more senior ladies complaining about long dresses and remarked, "Honestly! What a fuss about nothing. If I'm asked to wear a long dress, I will be delighted to do so!")

Still, I'm glad I won't be asking anyone ... maybe her generation of philosophers really can avoid the oppositions. It would be nice to think.

Kevin said...

The word used is "vidvishaavahai" which seems to be a compound of "vidivisha" - oppose each other, hate mututally - and "avahan" - strike or throw down.

In order to have reason we need a containing love.