Thursday, July 06, 2006

Plato's Plodders

It's good to know that the School gets some things right. What is right is the necessity to power and illumine theory with practice. This really sorts out the fireside theorists from the practitioners at an early stage and continues to be the lodestone of all that we do.

I was reminded of this as I walked home from Mandeville to Hammersmith last night. Earlier in the evening I'd walked to Mandeville - a round trip of 9 miles. I'm in training for a 17-mile charity walk in September initiated by a member of my group - we're walking the route of the London Circle line overnight. Our walking group is called Philosophers and Friends, although we did appreciate one suggestion - Plato's Plodders.

Walking is such an everyday experience that it's easy to forget what a passport it may be. Is there any truth in the saying, 'It's better to travel optimistically than to arrive?' We may find out.

What this walk demonstrates to me is that - unless there is a powerful reason otherwise - it is better to say 'yes' to all that presents itself on the doorstep. To embrace life, if sometimes foolishly, opens a window. To say 'no' is to shrivel and diminish. To say 'yes' allows growth.

Satish Kumar, the philosopher, ecologist and editor of Resurgence, walked from Delhi to London via Moscow. I forget the reason why. All I can think of is the enormity of that walk.

Yes, it is a metaphor - otherwise why mention it? But it sings with other recent observations noted here. Jaiswal last week said that if one limitation dissolves there'll be another one right behind it. Don't we know it! If my little right toe (now rather sore) gets better will I get a corn on my left foot? Who knows? The walk's the thing.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

This is really good. One (fair) criticism of the School has been that it looks inwards and does nothing for others. Charitable activities are done only for the benefit of "me and mine". Plainly that must change.

It could be said (by armchair philosophers, or even uncomfortable plastic chair philosophers) that there is nothing to be learned from doing something like this. But what I appreciate about what you've said is that you're welcoming the challenge, and enjoying the fact that you just don't know until you do it what will happen.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your encouragement. It is rather like the man with the little lantern who can only see one step ahead - but that step is enough. This example is particularly appropriate since we'll be walking through the night.

It's worth saying that preparation is important for such a walk. Along the way I'm collecting not only blisters but also addressing - I hope - my weaker points. One can only 'walk the walk' when walking, but preparation helps to focus and strengthen both mind and body.